Friday, 31 January 2014

Banana & Honey Pancake Letters

It's been a long old while since my last post.  There are 2 very small but very demanding reasons for this and their names are Alexa and Saskia. 




Having twins is a totally and utterly crazy experience and since their arrival my life has gone quite bonkers.  I love them more than I could have ever imagined but wow, they are hard work.


I thought I knew what a hectic life was…..I didn’t…..I do now.  My friend Natalie (who has 4 kids) once told me that her life is so busy that she doesn't have time to go to the loo!  At the time I just laughed at the thought of her crazy life but now I totally understand!  I no longer have any time to myself, I run everywhere - walking takes too long, I change an average of 12 nappies a day, feed two little mouths at the same time, wash bottles and bibs, wipe and sweep, load everyone in and out and in and out and in and out of the car, fumble around with a ridiculously heavy 'lightweight' double buggy and its stupid rain cover, I collapse on the sofa at the end of the day and within a couple of seconds am asleep, exhausted but very happy.  

You can understand then why my days of blogging about the food I have cooked for my family have been just a fond and distant memory!

This is a post I have been putting together since September last year when Oscar started at school!  Finally I have found a few minutes to sort it out and actually post it! Yay!

Pancakes are still Oscar’s favourite and these have been really good fun to make. He's been learning to read so he is always excited to read what his pancakes spell out.  It makes me feel like I’m doing my bit to help and encourage his reading especially on the days when his reading book doesn't actually make it out of his school bag. 


I used -

175g self-raising wholemeal flour
1½ tsp baking powder
1 large banana
40g honey
200ml milk
1 egg
olive oil for frying

1. Put all ingredients into a jug (flour in first and milk in last to avoid getting flour everywhere) and blend with a hand blender.  Pour the mixture into a clean ketchup bottle.



2. Pour a little olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and put it over a gentle heat.  Let the pan heat up for a minute or two.

3. Squirt big letters or shapes into the frying pan.  When bubbles appear all over the surface flip them over using a spatula to cook the other side.  Serve immediately or keep  in the fridge or freezer and reheat in 20 - 30 seconds in the microwave.  I keep the ketchup bottle of mixture in the fridge for a few days for pancakes on demand.



Definitely 5/5 for these.

I'm off to bed! x


2 comments:

Lozza said...

Love your blog. I just stumbled on it whilst looking for inspiration for family dinner.
Your boy reminds me of my oldest son as his taste buds are unequally unfathomable. I mean what's not to like about biscuits or cake?!?
Just wanted to say my second little boy (an Oscar too) will eat anything and everything so there's plenty of hope for your twins! We tried baby led weaning second time around and I don't know if this helped but it sure made things less stressful.
X

Laura said...

Amazing- can't wait to finish my ketchup bottle now.
Such an inspiration! Fab to see you today. Big love xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...